Experience the Magic of Skye this winter
Skye’s spectacular landscape is even more dramatic in winter. Light effects change on the snow-clad jagged mountains and the Hebridean seas every minute. For walkers and climbers there is the most varied selection of winter venues per square mile in Scotland. Click on the links to the right for examples of peaks, routes and the numerous activities we offer.
What is possible?
- We offer a bespoke guiding service so individual day outings or dedicated courses are possible on dates that suit you.
- As professional mountain guides we offer every style of outing; from guided walks in dramatic scenery to extreme climbing routes.
- Cheap accommodation in our very own climbers’ hostel, Skye Basecamp.
- Private guiding is always available but we now offer open courses from Skye Basecamp. These allow individuals to meet like-minded people, make new friends and keep prices down.
- Introduction to Skye Winter (4:1 maximum guiding ratio) is an “immersion” course suitable for those with good hill fitness and sense of adventure.
- Cuillin Ridges and Routes (2:1 maximum guiding ratio) is aimed at clients who want to tackle the more technical Cuillin peaks and ridges or climb gullies and faces.
|Number of guiding days and bed nights||Basecamp accommodation +|
1:1 Private Guiding
|Basecamp accommodation +|
INTRODUCTION TO SKYE WINTER 1:4 max
|Basecamp accommodation +|
CUILLIN RIDGES AND ROUTES 1:2 max
1:1 prices. Add £25pp
per day for extras
|1 day of guiding with up to 2 nights in Basecamp||£280||N/A||N/A||£250|
|2-day course with 3 nights in Basecamp||£545||£275pp (min 2 clients)||£320pp (min 2 clients)||£490|
|3-day course with 4 nights in Basecamp||£795||£395pp (min 2 clients)||£465pp (min 2 clients)||£725|
|4-day course with up to 6 nights in Basecamp. Allows rest day or uses best 4 days.||£1045||£545pp (min 2 clients)||£645pp (min 2 clients)||£960|
Beautiful winter walks around Skye to suit your fitness and time-scale. Popular walks include exploring the Storr, Quiraing, Camasunary, Suisinish and Waterstein Head. See sample routes
PRIVATE Winter Guiding 2016/2017 (No accommodation)
(Total cost between all participants)
Climbers guidebook: try out the SMC guidebook to the Cuillin (2011); now with over 120 winter routes recorded written by Skye Guides boss Mike Lates.
Winter Traverse of the Cuillin Ridge-
Notes for those keen to try themselves are on this Free Download. Known as the “Greatest Mountaineering Challenge in Britain” it requires perfect conditions so that teams can move at least as fast as in summer. We don’t offer the course but would be willing to upgrade a normal winter course to a Traverse if conditions were ideal.